Peer-to-peer fundraising is a powerful tool to empower your constituents to help your fundraising efforts. Using NeonCRM's Peer-to-Peer Fundraising module, constituents can create pages and ask people from their personal networks for contributions.
Before You Begin
Peer-to-Peer Fundraising pages are created to raise funds for a particular campaign. Multiple pages can be created for the same campaign, but you must have at least one campaign in your system before you can create a Peer-to-Peer Fundraising page.
If you haven't created a campaign yet, click on Campaigns in the Fundraising menu.
Click Add New Campaign.
To use Peer-to-Peer Fundraising with your campaign, you will need to configure the following fields:
- Name - required field for creating any campaign.
- Support Peer-to-Peer Fundraising - set to Yes.
As soon as at least one peer-to-peer fundraising page is created for your campaign, a field will automatically appear at the bottom of the standard campaign donation form asking the donor if they want to credit their donation to a Fundraiser.
The field will show all fundraisers for that campaign in a dropdown menu so the donor can select the one they want. The same field will appear on the event registration form for any event assigned to this campaign.
If you prefer not to have this field appear on the standard forms, you can set the "Credit Fundraisers" property in the Basic Information section of your campaign to No.
- Goal - Optional for using Social Fundraising in general, but required for the graphs and charts on Social Fundraising pages to display properly. It is often an important part of Social Fundraising that both fundraisers and donors can see the fundraiser's progress.
Once your campaign is created, you can then start configuring your Social Fundraising settings.
Social Fundraising Detail Page
To configure settings related to Social Fundraising pages, click the View Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Details button on the Campaign detail page.
From this page, you can do the following:
- View a summary and totals for all campaign transactions assigned to a social fundraiser
- Set up the general fundraising page content for this campaign
- Configure some additional options for page setup
- Create fundraising pages for existing individual accounts
- View transaction totals by fundraiser and access any fundraiser's detail page
- View and manage team pages
In this section, you can view contribution totals by type (donation, pledge, event registration) as well as a grand total of all payments credited to peer-to-peer fundraisers for this campaign:
This is also where you can find the Create Fundraiser and Campaign Fundraiser List links.
While most of the display of Peer-to-Peer Fundraising pages is pre-configured, you do have control over two aspects of your Peer-to-Peer Fundraising pages:
- Edit Header Image - add a header image.
- Edit Fundraising Page Content - add a description of your campaign.
To configure these two settings, go to the Fundraising Page Content section.
Edit Header Image
The header image appears on all individual Social Fundraising Pages and all Social Fundraising Donation Forms. In practice, a short and wide (think banner) image works best here.
Click Edit Header Image to upload a new image.
Select an image from your computer by clicking Browse, and then click Upload to upload your image to this campaign.
Edit Fundraising Page Content
Use the content editor to add or edit content. Use this area to provide a brief overview of the objectives of your Fundraising Campaign. This will appear at the top of your Social Fundraiser List (All Fundraisers) page, and below the fundraiser's personal content on all individual Social Fundraising Pages.
Click Edit Fundraising Page Content to edit this content section.
Click Submit when finished editing.
To configure some additional options, click the Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Settings button at the top of the Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Campaign Detail page.
Here, you can view and edit the following features for this campaign:
Enable "Create Page" button on fundraising pages
If disabled, this setting removes the "Become a Fundraiser" button and disables the Create Fundraiser Link. Disabling this option prevents constituents from becoming Fundraisers.
Enable Fundraising Team
Enable "All Fundraisers" page
Disabling this option will remove the "All Fundraisers" button from social fundraising pages, and deactivate the "Campaign Fundraiser List" page. If you try to navigate to this page directly when this setting is disabled, you will be redirected to the campaign page.
Enable "Supporters" list on social fundraising pages
Disabling this option will hide the list of donors and event registrants at the bottom of a peer-to-peer fundraising page.
Enable Fundraiser Statistic charts for logged-in fundraisers
Disabling this option will hide the large donut charts that are shown to social fundraisers when they log in to manage their page.
Enable embeddable sidebar widget for fundraising pages
When enabled, NeonCRM generates a code snippet that logged-in Fundraisers for this campaign can access from the Share My Page tab in your constituent login portal. They can copy this code and embed it on any web page they like in order to display the Fundraising Widget specific to this campaign. System Users can also access this code by clicking on the "View Code Snippet" link from a fundraiser detail page.
Enabling this option gives you some further configuration options for this widget, as shown below.
Additional Field Options for the Donation Form
By default, the social fundraising donation form only collects the first name, last name, and email address of the donor. This makes the donation process as simple as possible in a situation where the donors may want to support the social fundraiser, but not necessarily to commit to your organization.
However, you can add phone and mailing address fields to your social fundraising donation forms for any campaign. To do this, check the Enable collection of donor address on peer-to-peer fundraising donation pages box under Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Settings. You will then see a list of field options:
You can choose which fields to display. You can also choose to make them required. You cannot re-label these fields, nor can you change the order in which they appear.
Applying Alternate Web Templates
You can also apply an Alternate Web Template to the Peer-to-Peer Fundraising pages for this campaign.
Individuals can become Peer-to-Peer Fundraisers by creating a Fundraising page for a particular campaign. They can do this online, or a system user can create a page for them.
Ideally, your constituents will create their own fundraising pages for your campaign. They can do this from any of the following links:
- Create Fundraiser Link - This link takes you directly to the form for creating an account and subsequently creating a fundraising page for this campaign.
- From the Campaign Fundraiser List Page - This page displays the Peer-to-Peer Fundraising campaign description and a list of all active fundraising pages for this campaign. There is a "Become a Fundraiser" at the top of this page for people who decide they want to create their own page.
Both of these links can be found at the bottom of the Campaign Summary section of the Social Fundraising detail page.
- From an individual Fundraiser's page - Each fundraiser's page can include a "Create a Page" button for people who are inspired by other social fundraisers to raise funds for your campaign themselves. This option must be enabled in the Social Fundraising Settings for this campaign.
You can also manually create pages for your constituents.
To create a page for an existing account, click Add Fundraiser.
Search by name for the individual account, and click their name to select them.
This action creates a Peer-to-Peer Fundraising page and adds them to the list of Fundraisers.
For each Fundraiser, you can do the following:
- Click on their name - This takes you to their account detail page.
- Click Detail - This takes you to a page with more detailed information about this particular fundraising page.
- Click Web - This takes you to their actual live fundraising webpage.
- Click Delete - This will delete their fundraising page entirely.
Adding Fundraisers from the Account Detail Page
You can also add Social Fundraising pages to an account directly from their Account page. Find the section labeled Peer-to-Peer Fundraising. This section includes a list of all of this person's pages. It also shows summary statistics about their fundraising history.
To add a new page to this account, click Add Fundraising Campaign.
This will take you to a list of all available Campaigns. Check the boxes next to the Campaigns for which you would like to create pages and click Submit.
Once someone has become a fundraiser, they can manage their own page content, copy their page link to share, view their progress and a current list of their supporters, view and manage supporter comments, join or create a team, and even deactivate their page if they choose.
We have created a downloadable guide that you can distribute to your fundraisers and modify its contents as you see fit.
This page allows you to view and manage details of any fundraiser's page. You can access this page by clicking the Detail link from any of the following locations:
- The Fundraisers section of the Social Fundraising Campaign Detail page
- The Peer-to-Peer Fundraising section of any individual's Account detail page
- The Fundraisers list of the fundraiser's Team Detail page (if the fundraiser is part of a team)
From a Fundraiser detail page, you can do the following:
- Set their personal fundraising goal
- Delete or Disable the Peer-to-Peer Fundraising page
- Set up a custom URL for the fundraising page
- Set up or edit their personal message
- Set up or edit their personal photo
- View donation history for their page
- View campaign-related event registrations credited to this fundraiser
- View or disable donation comments (You cannot edit a Comment, but you can hide or delete it.)
Some of your fundraisers might want to raise money as a group and have their individual totals be summed up together. To do this, you can enable teams for a peer-to-peer fundraising campaign.
Enabling Teams for a Campaign
Navigate to your social fundraising campaign's detail page and click Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Settings.
There, you can activate teams for this campaign by checking Enable Fundraising Team.
To let people sign up for teams publicly, enable the Join Team button. (There is another Join Team button that can be enabled for the sidebar widget, if that is enabled.) If you want only administrators to determine who is on a team, leave the Join Team button box unchecked.
Peer-to-Peer Fundraisers Creating Their Own Teams
Your fundraisers can create and manage their own teams from the Teams tab of their page management interface in the constituent login portal. They can either join a team (if any exist) or create their own with themselves as team captain.
If they create their own team, your fundraiser will then be able to manage team details such as the team goal, page title, team link URL, and team page content.
Managing Teams as a System User
Choose a fundraiser to be captain for a team. Navigate to that fundraiser's page details.
On the fundraiser's detail page, their Fundraising Team will be listed under the links to their various forms. By default the team will be None. Add a team by clicking Change.
You can choose whether to Add a new team - making this account team captain - or add them to someone else's existing team.
Once a team is created, you edit the team's page title and content by clicking the team name.
Team Page Content
Clicking the team name link will navigate to the team page content. This is similar to the individual fundraising detail page, but includes the totals and page detail for the entire team. The participating fundraisers and their totals are listed below the content area.
Adding Social Fundraising Donations as a System User
As a System User, you can add donations and credit them to a Social Fundraiser. These donations will appear on the Social Fundraising page. If your campaign accepts checks, for example, this is the preferred method to add them to a page.
To add a donation and credit a Social Fundraiser, click the Quick Add button > New Donation.
In addition to the Donor Name and Amount, you need to select the correct Campaign. If there are any Fundraisers for that campaign, their names will appear as options in the Fundraiser menu under Source.
Complete your donation transaction as you would any other donation.
On the Summary page, you will see a checkbox option to send a fundraiser donation notification system email to the fundraiser, as well as the standard donation appreciation system email and/or letter to the donor.
After successfully entering the donation, you will see it reflected in several places:
- It will be logged as a donation on the donor's account.
- It will be displayed on the social fundraising page.
- It will be displayed on the fundraiser detail page.
- It will be displayed to the fundraiser in their page configuration interface.
- If the fundraiser is part of a team, that donation will be added to the team total.
The Fundraiser Summary report under Reports > New Report > Campaign returns one row per fundraising page in the results. If an individual has more than one page that fits your criteria, the data for each page will appear in a separate row.
The available criteria for this report includes various Peer-to-Peer fundraiser data including Fundraiser and Team names, page titles, campaigns, and totals. Many of these are also available as output columns for this report.
In addition, the Donation Detail Report under Reports > New Report > Donation allows searching by the following Peer-to-Peer Fundraising data:
- Donation Fundraiser
- Donation Fundraiser Comment
You can also add the following columns to the report's output columns:
- Fundraiser Comment
- Fundraising Page Title
Donors who contribute to a Peer-to-Peer Fundraising page will receive a Donation Appreciation System Email. You can customize the email they receive by doing the following:
- Create a System Email Version specifically for peer-to-peer fundraising donations. A <<Page Title/Fundraiser Name>> token is available for this email type, which will populate with the name of the fundraiser their donation supported, or the title of the fundraiser's page if it exists.
- Create a condition for your system email that triggers your email version based on the fundraiser name.
A constituent who follows the Create Fundraiser Link and clicks the Create New Account button will be directed to the 'createFundraiser.jsp?' page. Submitting this form will create a new Neon account and trigger the Account Registration system email. You can create a new version of this system email to include some instructions for constituents on how to log in to the Constituent Login Portal and create a new fundraising page.
Fundraisers can be notified when a donation is made to one of their pages by enabling the Fundraiser Donation Notification system email.