Custom fields play an important role in NeonCRM because each organization delivers its own specific services to its members and supporters. You may need to collect specific data that is not reflected in the standard NeonCRM data fields. Some examples of custom fields could include, "Where did you hear about our organization?", "Which committee does this person belong to?", or "What is their favorite color?".
There are three types of custom data that appear on NeonCRM accounts. To access and configure Custom Fields, navigate to:
System Settings tab > Home/Dashboard > Accounts > Custom Fields
- Account Custom Fields appear on both Individual Accounts and Organization Accounts. Account Custom Fields should be used for most custom fields because they are available in reports, they can be imported, and they are available for use on front-end web forms. You can manually add them to specific forms using the form configuration utility.
- Individual Custom Fields appear on Individual Accounts only, and are available on front-end forms.
- Organization Custom Fields appear on Organization Accounts only.
In addition, several NeonCRM modules have their own custom fields. These custom fields apply only to the specified type of record.
- Event Custom Fields allow you to add custom fields to forms for any event (General Event Custom Fields) or one specific event (Event-Specific Custom Fields).
- Donation Custom Fields allow you to collect and track custom data related to donations donation forms. Donation Custom Fields are configured exactly the same way as Account Custom Fields.
- Membership Custom Fields allow you to collect and track custom data related to memberships through membership forms. Membership Custom Fields are configured the exact same way as Account Custom Fields.
NeonCRM supports five Display Types for collecting custom data: One-Line Text, Drop Down, Checkbox, Radio, and Multi-Line Text.
One Line Text - A single line of free-entry text
If you select One Line Text, you can further specify the type of information you want to be entered into the field. This is accomplished with the Data Type field. Data Type validation for custom fields only applies to data entered by system users from the back end of Neon. If left empty, your custom field will accept any text. If you specify a Data Type, then users must enter information that fits a specific format. These include:
- Integer - A whole number
- Float - A number with decimal points
- Amount - An amount of currency
- Date - Will appear with a calendar icon and be searchable by date range on Standard Neon Forms
- Boolean - 1 or 0, use for Yes or No questions.
- Area Code
Multi-Line Text - A paragraph of free-entry text
By default, Multi-Line Text fields have a 1024 character limit:
Check Box - A group of options, where you may select any, all, or none of the answers
Check Box Example
Check Box Example #2
Drop Down - A drop-down menu with pre-defined options
Radio Button - A group of options, where you must select only one answer
Radio Example #1
Radio Example #2
If you select Check Box, Radio Button, or Dropdown as your Display Type, a second menu will appear at the bottom of the screen where you define the available field choices.
To add field options, click the Add button and specify where this option will be visible if added to a front end form.
Custom Fields on my Forms
When you create a custom field, it is available for use on your standard forms, but it is not enabled. You must add the field to each form.
Mark a custom field as Read Only if you don't want to allow logged in constituents to change their response. If left un-checked, constituents can log in and modify this answer at any time.
When you finish editing, click the Save button and your custom field will be saved.
If your created a radio, checkbox, or drop down field, then you will be prompted to arrange the order of your field options, as shown in the example below.
Click Submit to save.
Your custom field will now be included in the list of available fields when customizing your front-end forms.
Additionally, you can organize your custom fields into custom field groups. Custom field groups allow you to organize custom fields. Custom field groupings allow you to specify the order that custom fields appear in groups in the back-end. This is useful for grouping fields that have something in common with each other. A custom field can only belong to one group.
Create a custom group
From the System Settings tab > Home/Dashboard, find the category of custom fields you want to group (Account, Individual, Organization, Donation, Event), and click Edit.
At the top, click New Custom Group.
Name your custom group, and add a description (optional). The column of fields on the right is the list of available fields that are not already in a group. The column on the left is the list of fields in this group. Drag and drop the fields from the right to the left column to add them to this group.
When you are done click Save.
Rearrange Group Order
You can also rearrange the order that the groups display on this page and the Account Details page. By default they display in the order they were created.
Click Edit Order of Groups on the Account Custom Fields page.
Drag and drop your groups until they are in the order you prefer, then click Submit.
Order changes will affect the system user view of the Attributes section of the Account Details Page. They will not affect front end forms.
- Configuring NeonCRM training video
- Account Management training video
- Adding Custom Fields to Standard Forms
- Event Custom Fields
- Membership Custom Fields
- Donation Custom Fields